Historic Districts & Buildings

Wood Streets Historic District

Select a District

Designations:

City Historic District - Wood Streets Historic District - 4/20/1988
Survey Results  1998 1998         
Description Significance Theme Period
Area Boundary CHR Status NR Criteria
Citation References
Survey Description
The Wood Streets is the popular name for a group of adjacent residential subdivisions that make up almost a square mile in area. Including Larchwood, Beechwood, Elmwood, Linwood, Oakwood, Rosewood, Bandini, Ramona, Chapman/Castle Reagh, as well as sections of Magnolia and Brockton Avenues, these streets represent Riverside's most coherent examples of 1920s residential neighborhoods. The sequence of wood names was the result of a spate of subdivisions beginning in 1910 with a subdivision named Homewood Court. These subdivisions were the result of the City's decision, sometime before 1910, to extend Magnolia Avenue northward to a connection with Main and Market Streets. Most houses built in the Wood Streets were built in the late teens through the 1920s. The whole of the Wood Streets was filled in through the 1930 and 1940s. Much of the importance of the Wood Streets Historic District stems from its cohesive representation of typical Southern California residential architectural styles, circa 1916-1940. The environment as a whole, the original sidewalks, driveways, and street furnishings, is intact. The neighborhood represents a kaleidoscope of single-family dwellings for this period, a cross-section that is aesthetically pleasing in its diversity but compatible in scale, tone, and age.

District Map

 
 

Representative Structures