Historic Districts & Buildings

Evergreen Quarter Historic District

Select a District

Designations:

City Historic District - Evergreen Quarter Historic District - 6/1/2004
Survey Results  2004 2004         
Description Significance Theme Period
Area Boundary CHR Status NR Criteria
Citation References
Survey Description
The Evergreen Quarter Historic District is bounded by University Avenue to the north, Evergreen Cemetery to the south, the east side of Redwood Drive to the West, and Locust Street to the east. It includes 336 properties of which 289 are contributors. Currently there are over 20 individually designated historic resources within the Evergreen Quarter Historic District, including 3 landmarks and 17 structures of merit. The district features primarily one- and two-story, single-family residences and duplexes, but also includes apartment buildings, churches, and Evergreen Cemetery, the district's namesake. Streets within the proposed district are laid out in a grid pattern (as is all of downtown) and are developed with two travel lanes and street parking on both sides. Lots are typically 50-60 feet wide while setbacks are typically 20-25 feet. Fencing is common and materials include wood, wrought iron, brick, and chain link. Garages are predominately detached and located to the rear of the properties, with most accessed via unpaved alleys. Properties vary greatly with regard to landscaping. Front yards are mostly characterized by turf with trees and shrubbery providing accents. Parkways are generally turfed. Mature street trees planted within the parkway are a strong element of the area as are the historic pedestrian streetlights. Sidewalks characterize the area and driveway cuts are minimal, tending to be narrow with historic curb returns. Residences within the proposed district represent a wide variety of residential architectural styles popular in southern California from the 1880s to the 1930s, including excellent examples of Queen Anne, American Foursquare, Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival, Mission Revival, and Classical Revival. There are also some residences which reflect postwar architectural styles into the 1950's. Some alterations have crept into the architectural fabric of the district in the form of aluminum sliding windows, stuccoing over original wood siding, and porch enclosures. However, the majority of the contributing properties display a high degree of architectural integrity. Evergreen Cemetery creates the district's southern border. It was laid out in the style of a "rural cemetery," a popular 19th century design characterized by park benches, walkways, shrubs and trees. In keeping with this style, no part of Evergreen Cemetery is fenced. The earliest portions occupy two blocks between Locust and Redwood just north of Fourteenth Street. There is a small stone building at the corner of Fourteenth and Pine that was used for receiving bodies to be buried. Numerous styles of headstones form rows within these portions, interspersed with trees and walkways. Over the years, the Riverside Cemetery Association replaced many of the walkways with more graves to accommodate demand. A few walkways remain, but they are hard to identify due to poor maintenance. Lack of an endowment has also left the oldest part of Evergreen Cemetery brown and dry. The newer cemetery grounds lie on the opposite side of Fourteenth Street. This portion includes two Egyptian Revival style buildings, a mausoleum and a crematory, set back approximately 20 feet from Fourteenth Street. Both buildings are characterized by a rectangular floor plan, joined and freestanding columns, and walls made from rows of cut granite blocks that become smaller in size with each succeeding row. The cemetery grounds around these buildings reflect a tendency, which began in 1912 to use flat grave markers for easier maintenance.

District Map

 
 

Representative Structures