Property Results

Property Results
1 of 1 <-Previous Next->
Address 2320 MARY ST Year Built 1891
APN 235381016
Name Edgewild/Gulick Engel House Builder Gulick, William and Edward
Architect unknown Style Colonial Revival
Original Use Single Family residence Contemporary Use
Designations:
City Landmark - #25 - 11/10/1976
Landmark Plaque Text
Brothers William and Edward Gulick built this house on the site of their forty acre citrus ranch and nursery. With additional offices in San Diego and Ontario, the Gulick Brother's Nursery's local ranch was operated by William who with his wife, lived here until the Riverside office closed in 1907. In 1922, Margaret and Leroy Austin, a wealthy couple from New Jersey purchased the property and made extensive improvements to the house and landscaping. In 1933, the Austins received a grand prize from the National Yard and Garden Association for their aesthetically designed gardens.
Survey Results            
Description Significance Theme Period
Area Attributes CHR Status NR Criteria
Permits Citation References Addresses
Survey Description
This two-story English Colonial Revival style home is comprised in an irregular rectangular groundplan with projecting bays and porches. The structure features horizontal wooden siding, and has a medium-pitch gable shingle roof. There is rectangular fenestration consisting of sash windows, which are composed of one light on the bottom, and 12-lights above. Most of the windows have solid paneled shutters which feature an open design of a half-moon in the top panel. There is a brick foundation partially covered by vertical wooden panels, and a plain wooden water table. The main elevation features a one-story closed veranda which partially extends along the left side. There are three bays, with a single-bay screened-in area to the right. The veranda roof is upheld by rectangularly-panelled square piers with Tuscan capitals; the piers rest on high bases. An uncovered flagstone walkway leads to the main porch entrance, which is reached by two brick steps. The slightly offset entrance bay is accented by a pedimented hood upheld by paired piers of the same type as those of the veranda. Slender wooden strips form a rectangular frame within this frontispiece ensemble. The tympanum features a segmental arch motif, and the hood has a shingle roof. Within the porch area itself, the main entrance is composed of a 20-light redwood door with simple surround. The right bay consists of a double sash window, while the left bay features a single sash window of the same type. A wrought-iron lantern is attached to the wall, to the right of the doorway. The porch ceiling is covered with thin wooden strips. A molded architrave separates the first story from the second, and forms a base for the balustrade porch-walkway at the second story level. The balustrade features carved wooden balusters punctuated by rectangularly-paneled posts which are topped by spherical decorations. At the second story level, the gable end of the facade features two bays of sash windows with shutters. The windows feature pedimented architrave trim. At either side of the wall is a small wrought-iron lantern. At the crest of the gable end is a 16-light sash window with pedimented architrave trim, and a carved base. A horseshoe motif appears within the tympanum. There is a wide overhanging cornice on this elevation with simple molding. On the left side elevation, the main veranda continues along this elevation for two bays. The side entrance is reached by two brick steps. The entrance is accented by thin wooden strips forming a rectangle, as on the main elevation. The side entrance is a 20-light wooden doorway. To the left of the veranda is a segmental-arched window with plain base and surround, with scroll wrought-iron work decorating the edge of the window; to the left of the window is a set of double 15-light windows. At this point, the main wall surface recedes, and the inner face of the transom projecting bay features a 20-light doorway flanked by two 15-light windows resting on paneled bases. To the left of this projecting bay, the wall surface is punctuated by a set of double doors with 20-lights each. A wrought-iron lantern is attached to the wall at left. Above the second story walkway, a set of small double windows with plain base and surround appears at the right. Continuing to the left are three bays. The central bay features a set of French doors, 20-lights each, while either side bay consists of a rectangular sash window with shutters. The second story walkway ends to the left of the third bay, and a set of three rectangular windows within a single frame, with shutters, appears at the left end of the elevation. Towards the rear of the right side elevation is a projecting bay consisting of a doorway reached by wooden steps and three irregularly-spaced small square windows appear to the left. To the left, a set of four windows with six lights at the top and one on the bottom. Two more of these windows appear on the inner left face of this bay. To the left of this is another projecting bay, featuring a three-part stained glass window; this bay is covered by a shingle shed roof. A wooden cellar door appears at ground level, below this bay. The left end of this elevation features a projecting screened-in-porch area, divided into three bays by piers of the same type as those of the main elevation. Each bay is further divided into three parts by slender wooden strips. A screen vent appears at the foundation level. The second story features a small casement window above the projection at the right end. Continuing to the left are three casement windows. Above the projecting bay with stained glass is a set of two fifteen-over-one sash windows with carved base and simple surround. The rear elevation features one bay with a rectangular stained glass window with simple surround. A projecting service porch appears to the left. The rear doorway of the glassed-in, louver-windowed porch features a stained glass transom. To the left of the service porch is a projecting bay with a small square window on the inner face, and a fifteen-over-one sash on the outer face. This bay features a shingle shed roof with shallow overhang supported by simple wooden rafters. At the second story the walkway extends across the rear elevation. The gable end of this elevation features three bays. All of the windows of the rear elevation are without shutters and most are fifteen-over-one windows. A pergola covers a flagstone walkway leading to the carriage house. The pergola connects to the side entrance of the carriage house. The carriage house has a rectangular groundplan, horizontal wooden siding, and a steep-pitch shingle gable roof. The main elevation of the structure features an arched opening to the right that leads to a small porch area. To the left of the arched opening are double garage doors. The second story consists of a double bay shed roof dormer with each bay have double sash windows. The house and grounds cover approximately 3.4 acres. The landscaping features many varieties of trees and hedge-lined driveways. An arbor, large concrete urns, benches, and birdbaths punctuate the landscaping throughout the acreage. A series of fieldstone-lined pools, including a swimming pool, are also on the grounds. A grotto-like cave and a sunken garden are situated near the pools. The garden features a recessed tearoom with concrete flagstone floor.
2002 Photo # 12